Monday, November 2, 2015

Outgoing Introvert... Wait, What?!?!

Okay so let do a bit of "housekeeping" before I get started with this one:
Definitions, so that you have a starting point:


  • out·go·ing

    • ˈoutˌɡōiNG/
      • adjective: Friendly and socially confident

  • in·tro·vert

    • ˈintrəˌvərt/
      • noun: a shy, reticent person
      • adjective: another term for introverted


Still feel like your butt's in the wind?  'Cause you thought you knew what an introvert was?  Here is a better explanation of how introvert is used:

  • A term introduced by the psychologist Carl Jung to describe a person whose motives and actions are directed inward. Introverts tend to be preoccupied with their own thoughts and feelings and minimize their contact with other people.


There, feel better now?  Still no huh?

Mmmk, how about examples?


  1. I'm a recruiter for my job, I love doing it.  I'll talk to folks about getting a job with the Federalies for HOURS and be fine.  But the moment my "shift" is over don't talk to or look at me, for real though. It's even better if you don't even share space with me.
  2. I can go out to a club/party with you and have a great time, but once we're done don't text/call/email/want to see me for at least 24 hours.  And that 24 hrs is a bare minimum of time that I need to regroup.
    • I "peopled" so much for my collegiate homecoming this year, that I had to "not people" for 48 hours after Saturday came to a close.

So I can and will be friendly and participate socially but I have to keep to myself for a while afterwards.   And this is due strictly to how I process the world around and how I gather my energy.  

Think about it like this:  Do you have a friend that after you hangout with them you feel like you need a nap?  You may have thought that it was just cause Chip or Becky has too much drama going on in their lives... And while that may be true, a large part of that is that Chip and Becky are probably extroverts meaning that they get their energy from interactions with others.  They feel energized and you feel zombie like; you basically became a copper-top.  

So what the examples are basically saying is that I can and often do participate, but I have to allowed some time to myself to recharge my batteries.

I know I've made this clear as mud, but I'm still getting the hang of this, so please work with me! Your gracious understanding is most appreciated.  Leave me some feedback, if only to tell me that you couldn't get past the 2nd line. ;0)

Until next time, remember just keep swimming or you'll go belly up! *^_^*

No comments:

Post a Comment