Friday, November 13, 2015

30 Days of Thanksgiving 2015: Day 11

30 Day of Thanksgiving 2015

Day 11

I'm thankful for the opportunities afforded me by the price paid by soldiers


Yesterday was Veteran's Day.  The day that we take time out to say thank you to those brave souls for giving Uncle Sam ultimate dominion over their lives for a period of time.  If you think about it there is not really anything adequate to demonstrate the high level of gratitude due to those that defend our rights as Americans.  To have the cojones/stones/balls to defend that which may not benefit you, that which you don't believe or support AND the right of others to express themselves and their views on things/people/life, that takes a special kind of person.

With the the current tides, tones, and issues in the U.S. right now, I'm more in awe of the folks in my life that took that step than ever.  A step that most of of the population has never considered, thought about, or even spent mental energy on.  The basis for the step may have been completely altruistic or it may have been taken in order to set themselves on a better path than the one they stepped off of, my gratitude is the same regardless.



I don't know that I could answer that call


The 18/19 year old me could've done it.  I had planned on it, but was offered another road away from the place I was so desperate to escape from.   But the 38 year old me... Not so much.  There is SO much about the world that I can't stand / fathom / stomach / understand that I honestly cannot say with certainty that I wouldn't lose my Jesus and go Planet of the Apes on some dumb ass that's fucking off, based on the check that I'd have written to my Government.  I know, I know "way to bring the room down!  I thought you were a granola hippy?"  Yeah, yeah I am to an extent, but I'm a conservative hippy (that's a conversation for another day).
If it wasn't for the folks that have touched my sphere of existence (those pictured above), and the numerous other nameless/faceless souls we wouldn't have the freedom to stand up and cheer for things that you believe in or conversely voice our opinion or displeasure at something that's happening in our neighborhood/city/county/state and country.

So Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment